History

 

Our area is rich historically, culturally and ethnographically; in some towns like Beberino, Llombera and La Pola, toponymic evidence and remainings have been found from the Celtic period, in other towns like Geras, count with archaeological heritage from the II Iron Age which are currently kept in the Museo de Leon.

 

The existence  of Concejo de Gordon is documented since the X Century, being during the Reconquest one of the most significant administrative element of the Astur-Leones Realm (Reino Astur-Leones); it was also head of the central political and administrative of Bernesga lands thanks to Ramiro IIís planning.

 

La Pola was capital of the Concejo and is currently capital of the Council, it was founded by King Alfonso IX between the years 1212 and 1230, using as guide for government the Fuero de Benavente. In the foundation certificate it was awarded many privileges such as exemption from royal merinazgo and also portzgo rights and the market should take place on every Thursday.

 

The history of the region is linked to that of the Gordon Castle, built in the IX Century as requested by Alfonso III el Magno, in Los Barrios de Gordon and itís coetaneous to the castles in Alba and Luna. You can access the strategic location where it used to stand, nowadays replaced by a large stone cross that can be seen from town and attempt to find among the ruins a rectangular and irregular floor with a few constructions inside.

 

Gordonís Castle played a key role in the fight against Muslim advance, as explained in the regionís coat of arms, in which thereís an inscription thatís says ďMas Pero a Gordon Non Lo PrisoĒ, as a reference to how the fortress resisted the attack of Almanzor in the X Century and was not conquered in his advance towards more Christian land.

 

Bienes de Interes Cultural: The Spanish Historic Heritage Law determines this designation, and in the county itís the Tourism and Culture Ministry the organism in charge of awarding this title to those buildings, groups, archaeological sites, natural sites that deserve such designation due to their artistic, historical or anthropological value.

 

There are three BIC designated sites in Gordon:

 

- La Vidís Defensive Tower: declared BIP in the category of castles in 1949. Itís a medieval fortress, likely to be from the XIV Century, located inside a house nest to a church. Although itís inside of a private property, it can be seen from the outside since it stands above about 2 meters over the roofs.

 

This defensive tower, also known as ďla SaeteraĒ has a squared ground plan (8x8) and two floors. It has masonry walls thicker than 1meter with double loophole windows in the corners and a double slope roof. Itís said that the arrow that killed Almanzor was fired from this tower.

 

- Sanctuary of Buen Suceso: itís a BIC in the category of historic-artistic monuments since 1983. Itís located by the N-630 within the town of Huergas and itís one of the main stops for pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago though the Northern route to San Salvador in Oviedo.

 

The hermitage is contains the Virgin of Buen Suceso, patron saint of the La Pola de Gordon Council, who count with many believers. This virgin has been awarded gold medals by the La Pola de Gordon Council and the Diputacion Provincial de Leon. The building has a cross ground plan with triple header. The lateral headers are covered by an arris vault, the transept and main vault are covered by a dome. The arms of the crossing and the nave are covered by a barrel vault. The headers present from the exterior a polygonal shape that matches the one of the sacristy. The southern part of the vault resent two buttresses that coincide in the inside with the transverse arches. Thereís also a portico opened by three rounded arches, one on each side, which are covered with an eight pointed rib scheme. There another portico facing north that presents three segments standing over flat impost pillars and covered by a simple rib scheme. The Baroque period is the main construction style, using   national limestone masonry. Another element that stands out is the forged fence inside the chapel, from 1854.

 

- Castillete del Pozo Ibarra: It was declared BIC in the category of Etnologic ensemble in 2009. Located in the town of CiŮera. Itís an iron structure of 31.5 m of height and 100 tonnes of weigh, which is an example of the traditional metallic structures of the XIX Century.

 

This figure  stands out due to its singularity and representation of typology; the fact that is designated as BIC is justified by the Law of Cultural Heritage of Castilla y Leon since itís an industrial ensemble of coal extraction, testimony of the culture and way of living in the town, whose activity has generated a transformation in the town. The Ibarra Well was opened in 1930 and the castillete and lift to the mine were used until the 1990s.